Friday, July 07, 2006

EVEN THOUGH I don't agree with some of his views, I think that David Corn is a reasonable guy (if I were naughtier, I'd add "for a leftist"...) But I think he needs a lesson in Economics 101 or two, at least judging by his entry on Bush's visit to a Dunkin' Donuts yesterday. He writes:
George Bush went to a Dunkin' Donuts on Wednesday. No, this wasn't a Bill Clinton moment. The president was making a political point-about immigration. The two Iranian Americans who own this donut shop in Alexandria, Virginia, apparently cannot find the workers they need to keep churning out those circular sugar bombs. So, Bush said, Congress has to pass legislation that will allow illegal immigrants to become legal guest-workers.

Congress does need to deal with immigration. But there might be another solution to the Dunkin' Donuts problem--raising the minimum wage. If work at fast-food shops paid more, there would be more fast-food workers. Isn't that how the market works?

Can he please explain exactly how raising the minimum wage by law is letting the market work? Gee, I thought some things were obvious.

Click here to send me an email