Thursday, March 23, 2006

ANOTHER WEISBERGISM of the day: in his section 'Bushism of the day', Jacob Weisber at Salon a/ wants to distort reality, or b/ doesn't mind letting everybody know of his inability to follow a relatively simple argument. He laughs at Bush because he said:
"After the bombing, most Iraqis saw what the perpetuators of this attack were trying to do."—(On the bombing of the Golden Mosque of Samarra in Iraq) March 13, 2006, Washington, D.C.
You only have to read the quote in context to see that it was a part of an argument that you can agree or not, but which makes perfect sense:
After the bombing, most Iraqis saw what the perpetuators [sic] of this attack were trying to do: The enemy had failed to stop the January 2005 elections, they failed to stop the constitutional referendum, they failed to stop the December elections, and now they're trying to stop the formation of a unity government. By their response over the past two weeks, Iraqis have shown the world they want a future of freedom and peace -- and they will oppose a violent minority that seeks to take that future away from them by tearing their country apart.
UPDATE (March 24): Duh. Apparently it's me who fails to understand things... A reader points out that the Bushism was "perpetuators", and not what I thought. I wish I could say that it was the absence of [sic] in Slate, as opposed to the White House transcript, what fooled me. I don't really know how I goofed. My bad.

Click here to send me an email