Wednesday, March 08, 2006

PURE TORQUEMADAS, that's what the Guantánamo torturers are, at least according to the official report that an American court forced the Pentagon to publish. This is what some of the inmates declared:
"Prisoners here are in paradise. American people are very good. Really. They give us three meals, juice, fruit and everything! My God! Here they [i.e. the Arab detainees] bother me everyday, every time. Now about 30 months to this day, they bother me. They call me a hypocrite. They call me a spy. You have to say, 'thank God!' I thank you for America! If you are in a Taliban prison, they do not treat you well. Here we are in paradise. It is 100% paradise. Yes, really. Thank you!"
Or this one:
"I'm very happy with the Americans. I don't blame the Americans for capturing me. I blame someone who reported me; I got captured because of him."
Ah, no, now it's when the appaling torture comes:
During his time in Guantanamo, Mr. Abbasi (writing in the third person) alleges that he was:
  • subject to [unspecified] "mental stress and pressure"
  • "willfully misdirected ... to pray north"
  • deprived of "comfort items"
  • subjected to an [apparently failed] "attempt to withdraw Qur'an"
  • able to hear two guards having sex, while they "assumed he was asleep"
  • distracted from his prayer by the "sharp intake of breath" of a female MP who'd been "sexually fondled".
  • offered a plate of pork
  • the object of a conspiracy "to keep detainee ignorant of detainee's allotted Tuesday recreation"
  • subjected to a "partially successful" attempt to administer injections "under the guise of immunisation", designed to "unhinge detainee's mental and emotional stability"
And this? How can you remain indifferent about this?
what Mr. Abbasi was forced to endure when he had his peanut butter eaten by a guard "right in front of him".
Animals.

Click here to send me an email